Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Early drawings

These are a couple of drawing that I did a few years back.

 I was flipping through a book one day and I came upon a picture of an alligator and a komodo dragon. As a young child I always looked forward to those pictures in an otherwise boring book (for a young person). On this day though I found myself drawn to draw one of those interesting pictures. They were good black and white pictures which is very nice for drawing. I hadn't been doing a whole lot of drawing before that, other than what I would do for my math. I was very pleased with how this picture came out and went on a drawing crusade.
One thing that I wasn't to pleased with was how it smudged when I was done. I did not have a fixative and did not know that you could use hair-spay as a cheap substitute. Looks pretty good anyways.
 My next picture was this tyrannosaur. It was made not to long after my alligator.

 A little expression of creativity.


An artist will always go through a point when creating a piece of artwork that they will hate what they are making. You just have to work past that. After that point, often times, things start looking good. Things really start looking good the day after you finish your piece. I did not do that for this drawing of a foal. I look back at it now and am actually quite pleased with it despite its incomplete state. So much so that I even signed it.

Here I experimented with pastels, as you can tell by my little note.

This is George Washington as you can obviously tell.


I was very pleased how this pigeon turned out. My dad said I should submit it to the Audubon Society.



Kim Jong Il looking at Kim Jong Un
I have to admit that I had fun with this one. There was a website that I would occasionally visit for a little bit of comic relief. The whole websight was dedicated to our dear N. Korean leader looking at things. It was just a random collection of random pictures of Il looking at things. I could never look at a picture of Il without thinking of him looking at something. Well, one day I was flipping through a magazine and, lo n' behold, the N. Korean dictator was looking at me and not only was he looking at me but he was commanding me. "저를 그립니다" he said. I was astonished. Promptly I started to 무승부 him. This drawing was the result.
It is funny how an artist view his artist as time goes on. When he first starts it looks pretty good. Very quickly the picture becomes odious to the artist and he probably may even hate the thing. After that hump it starts to look good. When he is done it is very displeasing. The day after the picture finished it is the most beautiful thing that he has ever seen. After a while, admiration for it starts to wear off and once again it isn't as wonderful as he thought it was. Maybe I shouldn't have signed it...
As the saying goes "the artist is his greatest critic."

No comments:

Post a Comment